We as a community have a unique opportunity to witness a special event at 2:30 p.m. this Saturday at Floyd Casey Stadium. The 17th ranked (BCS poll) Baylor Bears host the University of Texas Longhorns in a game that has many ramifications, and your support is needed. I know most of you have tickets and will attend, but you can be a big player in recruiting fans to purchase tickets and come see one of the most exciting Baylor football teams in quite some time. Fans will be a part of:
- The nationally televised game on ABC. We will not share this time slot with any other game on ABC. This give us the chance to help change perceptions about the support locally of Baylor football and to improve our position with bowl executives as they make their decisions regarding Baylor and their fan support.
- The first sold-out game since 2006.
- Watching Robert Griffin III (RG3), one of the top three Heisman candidates for 2011, according to most national publications. He is considered by many to be the best athlete in college football.
- Watching Kendall Wright, one of Baylor’s most prolific receivers; Terrance Ganaway, last week’s Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week; and a host of other seniors play their last game at Floyd Casey Stadium. These seniors have helped build a new tradition with back-to-back bowl appearances for the first time since 1991.
- Helping push the Bears to 9 wins with a chance at 10 with a bowl-game victory. A win Saturday will also give the Bears a 7-0 home record for 2011. The last time Baylor was undefeated at home was 1985, when they were 5-0.
- Maintain the excitement and momentum for the new Baylor football stadium on the Brazos River. This stadium will be a catalyst for significant development along the Brazos River and the Greater Downtown area. We have an opportunity as a community to help develop one of the most beautiful and unique college stadiums in the country.
- Last but not least, we have an opportunity to defeat Texas for the second year in a row. . . . Do you know how long that’s been? (Here’s a hint: Grant Teaff was still coaching.)
Don’t delay because tickets are selling very well. Wear your Baylor Gold and be Baylor Proud!